I often get asked how I go from a raw image to a fashion or beauty shoot final look. The first thing is retouching.
- I clean up the skin by removing blemishes and imperfections [and at the request of some models, moles] NOTE: most models have really great skin, so minimal retouching required in most cases; it's just a matter of perfecting the beauty shot.
- then I refine the skin with a custom action I developed in Photoshop for myself
- next, bring back texture with grain
- refine and resharpen as needed
- then once the skin is great, I'll play with the colour for a more fashion-forward/editorial look
here is my workflow in 4 minutes. NOTE: the actual retouching took about 8 minutes.